4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What type of exhaust/CAI is this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Jayhawks

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Not really, there are no gains worth the $$ (or at all) to be had with any aftermarket CAI or filter. Relation the the engine's needs neither the stock intake or filter are unnecessarily restrictive.

I made 262/305 rwHP/lb-ft with the simple mods listed below, a tweaked tune, and the stock intake with a Purolator paper filter.

Take a look at the Where to Start with Bolt-ons "sticky" if you want to add power...
Yep, already read that thread. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Jayhawks

Originally Posted by Fillerdust
Good choice on color!
Thanks!

You heard any negative vibe surrounding yellow sports cars/convertibles? Some ppl on another internet forum I post on seem to think so, although all of my friends have complemented me on the color. It's definitely not my favorite color, but the price was right and the paint is in really good condition so I just don't see any point to spending the money on a new paint job.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Actually they don't, they net zero gains over the factory tube.
this^

people think cold air intake does something on a stock car and it doesnt do anything until you get a heavily modified car or superchared etc

glad somebody else knows!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Jayhawks

Originally Posted by luke1333
this^

people think cold air intake does something on a stock car and it doesnt do anything until you get a heavily modified car or superchared etc

glad somebody else knows!
Yeah my question was about the filter. Isn't the stock filter on the intake limiting?
Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Jayhawks
Yeah my question was about the filter. Isn't the stock filter on the intake limiting?
No, it is not--that is just popular conventional wisdom.

Think of it this way: The automakers are locked in battles on two fronts, one versus their competitors over HP ratings and the other in meeting CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards (they pay a fine for every CAFE mpg over the current EPA limits).

Both of these battles are all about engine efficiency because higher efficiency = more power, and also more miles per gallon.

So, why on God's green Earth would they deliberately hobble both goals by using an overly restrictive intake tract? And why would they use pleated paper filters if just the simple act of using one of the snake-oil filters could produce all the wonders claimed by the manufacturers and vendors of same?

The whole CAI (BTW, the stock intake on our cars IS a CAI), drop-in filter issue is a hold-over from 30+ years ago when stock intake tracts and air filters were overly restrictive because the automakers did not want to spend any R&D $$ on designing tuned intakes.

Here is my real opinion of "drop-in" cotton gauze filters--K&N in particular. I do not normally draw attention to it as it always results in a flood of emails from the faithful accusing me of being a blasphemous heretic...

-----------------------------------
I just realised I wrote that 9 years ago--damn time flies.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:21 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jayhawks

Originally Posted by cliffyk
No, it is not--that is just popular conventional wisdom.

Think of it this way: The automakers are locked in battles on two fronts, one versus their competitors over HP ratings and the other in meeting CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards (they pay a fine for every CAFE mpg over the current EPA limits).

Both of these battles are all about engine efficiency because higher efficiency = more power, and also more miles per gallon.

So, why on God's green Earth would they deliberately hobble both goals by using an overly restrictive intake tract? And why would they use pleated paper filters if just the simple act of using one of the snake-oil filters could produce all the wonders claimed by the manufacturers and vendors of same?

The whole CAI (BTW, the stock intake on our cars IS a CAI), drop-in filter issue is a hold-over from 30+ years ago when stock intake tracts and air filters were overly restrictive because the automakers did not want to spend any R&D $$ on designing tuned intakes.

Here is my real opinion of "drop-in" cotton gauze filters--K&N in particular. I do not normally draw attention to it as it always results in a flood of emails from the faithful accusing me of being a blasphemous heretic...

-----------------------------------
I just realised I wrote that 9 years ago--damn time flies.
exactly man. i love how people think they get a benefit from an aftermarket CAI. right on man right on!