4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fuel Pressure guage install

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:52 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Default Fuel Pressure guage install

I got a Autometer Sport Comp fuel pressure guage I'm going to install but I was looking at it and it just has the one fitting that hooks to the wireing harness 1/8 NPT. It says for Fords with a shrader valve in the fuel rail you need an adapter but I don't think my 03 has that. Anyone installed one. How did you hook it to the fuel system? Seems like I would need another part that T's into the fuel line.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:28 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Pressure guage install

ive got the same gauge and im trying to figure out how to get the sensor on there!!! i need an adapter of some sort to put it on the shrader valve. ive got all the wiring but the power wire hooked up. the wire going to the sensor is just sitting on the motor and the sensor is in my cupholder.... does anyone know where i can get this fitting?
Old 12-27-2005, 03:41 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Do you have a shrader valve on yours cuz I didn't see one on mine. I think I could use a t-fitting like this picture. I'm going to call Jegs where I got it to see if they have the part. They give you a part number for the adapter that you would use for the schrader valve it's adapter 3280.

http://www.motorsportsdigest.com/install-efgi.htm
Old 12-27-2005, 10:46 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

if you are looking under the hood... its on the front of the passenger side fuel rail. its got a little black cap on it that screws off. do you have any links to the adapter? i need to order one so i can get my gauge working. it just sits there on 90 psi... haha.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I don't think there's one on mine cuz when I took it off I don't remember seeing it, I'll have to take a look. My cars put away so I'll stop after work. I looked around but I havn't seen that part. Maybe if you do a search on Google for Autometer adapter 3280. I did a search and came up with this.
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?..._Adapter&Cart=
Old 12-27-2005, 07:33 PM
pdk
2nd Gear Member

nx website has a $50 fix for the schrader valve (or for those without one from the factory)
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/FuelRailAdapt.htm

im sure there are other options but this is the route i took when the shop installed my Fuel Pressure gauge.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Ah Ha I found this. Damn

Bulletin: Discontinued fuel pressure relief valve (Schrader Valve)
2003 Mustang equipped 3.8 and 4.6 2V/4V built after Sept. 15 will no longer have the fuel pressure relief valve (Schrader Valve).

Now I'm going to have to rig the damn thing. They do make a special tool that you use to check the fuel pressure manually. I'm going to call Ford tomorrow.

New Service procedure for relieving fuel pressure:
1. Remove the fuel pump relay or fuse in the engine compartment fuse box, refer to chart listed in this TSB for fuse location.
2. Start the engine and allow idling until the engine stalls.
3. After the engine stalls, crank the engine for about five seconds to ensure that the fuel injection supply manifold pressure has been released.
4. When fuel system service is complete, install fuel pump relay or fuse.
5. Cycle key and wait three seconds to re-pressurize the fuel system. Check for leaks before starting engine.
Note: It may take more than one key cycle to re-pressurize the fuel system.
6. Start engine and check for leaks.
Note: It is possible that a DTC may be set due to the pump relay being pulled and the engine started and run out of fuel. If DTC’s are set, clear all DTC’s before returning the vehicle to the customer.

New Service procedure for manually checking fuel pressure with a gauge:
1. Remove the fuel pump relay or fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. Refer to chart listed in complete TSB for fuse location.
2. Start the engine and allow idling until the engine stalls.
3. After the engine stalls, crank the engine for about five seconds to make sure the fuel injection supply manifold pressure has been released.
4. Disconnect fuel line at the fuel rail to chassis line pierce point, using special service tool number 310-D005 or equivalent.
5. Install Schrader valve service port adaptor (adaptor spring lock coupling), refer to chart in complete TSB for service tool number.
6. Install fuel pressure gage special service tool 310-012 or equivalent.
7. Install fuel pump relay or fuse.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:01 PM
pdk
2nd Gear Member

Voodoo: walbro 255lph pumps are not made to handle the variable voltage needed to regulate the pressure in a returnless system. look into a plug and play replacement like twin svt focus and twin cobra pumps