Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Evolution debate ongoing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Brenspeed vs Evolution debate ended.

Sadly at the time of ordering my combo, no one really knew about Evolution on the forums... or no one voice their opinion... So I went with brenspeed, and so far not completely dissatisfied with the tune. (The Evolution price and performance is much better in comparison though.) I would have gone that route.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:56 PM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

What was the A/F at? Can you scan the dyno graph so we can see? I heard that the Evo tunes ran dangerously lean...
Old 04-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I think Fred is running his tunes at like 12.1? I'm not sure... he says my Brenspeed Tune was running at like 13.5. I don't have any graphs of the Dyno, just a print out of the results. I'm sure Fred might be able to pull up some graphs and send them over.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Evolution Performance
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: stang9325

What was the A/F at? Can you scan the dyno graph so we can see? I heard that the Evo tunes ran dangerously lean...
Who started that FAR FROM THE TRUTH Rumor?

Air Fuel was 12.8! How is that dangerously lean! Optimum AFR on a N/A car is 13.1 but the 3V likes it at 12.8 AFR and makes much better power that way!

Old 04-23-2006, 12:13 AM
XLeatherNeck
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

Fred had cancelled the dyno day for today, due to sucky weather. (It hasn't stopped raining all day, and it's been rather cold.) So me and Dkano from the forums had already planned this and went despite all, because the shop would still be open, just wasn't open for a large crowd with all the festivities planned. (That is now scheduled for May 20th)

Now for the purpose of this thread... I was going to the shop in hopes of making 300RWHP with my Brenspeed tune, C&L Intake, and Off-road H-pipe. So as my car makes everyone deaf in the shop (and probably a 5 mile radius) the Mustang Dyno numbers are printed up and I'm shown with having 274.1 RWHP & 292.2 RWTQ. Needless to say I was fairly disappointed. (Although these are the numbers that did give me my 13.2 in the 1/4 on stock rubber.)

It was now turn for Fred's tune, (Which you can get by purchasing his SCT XCalibrator, and his combo prices are much cheaper then anyone else I believe.) Frankly, this would be the best bang for your buck. Fred loaded up the tunes to my SCT (With a $150 upgrade price for those of you wanting his tune. Sadly.) Onto the Dyno I went and the numbers were more of what I was expecting. 300.5RWHP & 317.1 RWTQ.

As far as performance is concerned I think you can clearly see the winner.
Brenspeed 274.1RWHP - 292.2RWTQ
Evolution 300.5RWHP - 317.1RWTQ

If by chance you are reading this Brent, I still think you have excellent service, and you're awesome... but... Evolution has you beat in this aspect (as well as price for combos). You win some, you lose some.

No harm meant.

12s, here we come.
That is a huge margin for just a tune. No offense, but I have to see hard data to believe it.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:17 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Fred... could you pull up the data for both pulls... Yours and Brenspeed?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:28 AM
bushbanger
2nd Gear Member

So lets say that I order a sct and jlt2 from Fred ..Do I have to shell out a extra 150 to get this tune ????
Old 04-23-2006, 12:36 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I have been reading every post about EVO vs Brenspeed in the hopes of getting unbiased data as to which tune is better. I have contacted Brent via email, he recently lowered his price for the JLTII CAI tuner package. I was going to order from him on monday because customer service and safety is more important to me than $30 difference than Fred's pricing. However, Menace, are you honestly telling me that a tune from Fred netted you 25 whp over Brent's custom tune? Was Brent's tune set up for all your mods or before your H-pipe install? Was the A/F the same for both tunes? 30 bucks is not a big deal to me but 25whp is. You had said this was a 93 octane tune for both, how much difference is there between the 87 tune and the 93 tune. Gas is friggin' spendy so if I sacrifice 5-10whp?? and save $1000 or more a year buying the cheap stuff, I can put that money into more mods.

Fred I am going to PM you with questions
Old 04-23-2006, 12:39 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Looks like Freds about to be a busy man! LOL...
Old 04-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Evolution Performance
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: bushbanger

So lets say that I order a sct and jlt2 from Fred ..Do I have to shell out a extra 150 to get this tune ????
NO, Not at all! It's only $150.00 if you currently own a SCT XCalibrator 2/ Intake Combo Kit and would like to experience much more power, less throttle lag, and for the automatic people out there, the most precise automatic shifting and firmness in the tuning market today! [sm=smiley20.gif]

[sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: Evolution debate ongoing.