5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Heffin Idle Roll, Throttle Body Location Random Click = Perfection? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Default Heffin Idle Roll, Throttle Body Location Random Click = Perfection? Help!

Ok, ive been searching for an idle roll for over a year, and i have tried every trick in the book.

Tonight is the first time i have every seen it idle at 750 rpm for a good 3 minutes with out flinching. Car runs great wot.

So i was messing around with the TPS, finally got it to .98 volts ( took a while ).

It ran ok, not as rough as usually, then something clicked, and boom, perfect idle for a good 3 minutes, then it stopped, and went back to a crappy idle.

WTH clicked? I have removed, cleaned and tried 2 differant iac's last year
messed around with the erg, its not the erg
i have took apart the upper intake searching for vacuum leaks, all the way down to the upper intake. No dice.
maf is good
tps is now good

tonight was the first sign of hope. i am now determined to figure out what happened! I didnt hear the click, my dad did he wasnt sure what it was.

We tapped wiggled and did everything, not to sure what else to do.

SO if anyone knows what clicks, and has a big effect on the idle, let me know.

Im pretty sure its not the iac, but as we were trying to set the iac, we unplugged it, and it shut the car off completely, i have never had that happen to me before.

Last year when i took off the iac to change them i had the car running, and i had it unplugged or loose. It ran like ****, but didnt shut off completely.

See ya guys!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

with the car running go maround on the wire harness and perform the ford "wiggle " test...= lightly tug on all wiring connectors and harness areas......try cleaning the salt n pepper connectors
Old 05-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

salt and peppers are cleaned.
we wiggled everything haha.

Question, say i set the tps. Then change the idle screw on the bottom of the trottle plate, will that mess up my tps setting?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

as long as tps falls with in the spec of .6 to 1.0 something, forgot the max....anyway as long as it's within that spec ecm will compenstate, .98 is a myth
Old 05-10-2009, 09:08 PM
dcFalcons51

Originally Posted by Bobert
salt and peppers are cleaned.
we wiggled everything haha.

Question, say i set the tps. Then change the idle screw on the bottom of the trottle plate, will that mess up my tps setting?
did you reset the computer after you did all these adjustments? also, did you do the idle relearn procedure?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dcFalcons51
did you reset the computer after you did all these adjustments? also, did you do the idle relearn procedure?
umm, to be honest i have no idea what either of those are...
Old 05-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

i never really had a step by step procedure here. I probed the wires on the sensor, turned the sensor, got the right voltages, then tightened the sensor.

Messed with the idle screw?

Then it ran fine.. thats all i did.

Can any one link me a procedure?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

I think i found this:

Disconnect the battery's negative terminal to reset/clear the computer's memory. Leave it disconnected for 30 minutes.
Disconnect the plug going to your idle motor which is located on the front of your throttle body.
Reconnect your battery's negative terminal.
Start the engine, and set the idle to the rpm you want with the stop screw on the bottom of the throttle body. (arrow)
Turn off the engine.
Reconnect the plug on the idle motor.
Make sure all accesories (radio, blower motor, a/c, lights, etc) are off and start the engine.
Let engine run for two minutes.
Turn engine off and wait two minutes then restart engine and let idle for two minutes with all accesories on.
If everything was done properly the EEC-IV (read: computer) should have learned it's new idle.

Does that sound right? I know how to clean the computer, disconnect both terminals, key on, touch the terminals together, to clear the capacitors, ta da.

Then i will be pumped if this works tomorrow!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

I think i found this:

Disconnect the battery's negative terminal to reset/clear the computer's memory. Leave it disconnected for 30 minutes.
Disconnect the plug going to your idle motor which is located on the front of your throttle body.
Reconnect your battery's negative terminal.
Start the engine, and set the idle to the rpm you want with the stop screw on the bottom of the throttle body. (arrow)
Turn off the engine.
Reconnect the plug on the idle motor.
Make sure all accesories (radio, blower motor, a/c, lights, etc) are off and start the engine.
Let engine run for two minutes.
Turn engine off and wait two minutes then restart engine and let idle for two minutes with all accesories on.
If everything was done properly the EEC-IV (read: computer) should have learned it's new idle.

Does that sound right? I know how to clean the computer, disconnect both terminals, key on, touch the terminals together, to clear the capacitors, ta da.

Then i will be pumped if this works tomorrow!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

check the sticky's on here in the tech articles, there is a write up for such