5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

93 5.0, Havent started in a year and a half, What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:44 AM
93Mustang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default 93 5.0, Havent started in a year and a half, What to do?

Hey Guys, I have a question about my 5.0 Mustang. I used to drive the car all the time, but now I have been in different states and now I am back so I want to get my car running. Awhile back, around a year and a half ago I got it started, The ground on the engine wasnt making contact so I was only getting one click then no start out of the car. I would get it started on occasion and it would click pretty bad, im guessing this is due to the lack of lubrication in the valvetrain. When I was in a different state I had my friend attempt to start it and when he did he said it sounded like it was back firing through the intake valves. Im hoping that because of all the oil draining my lifters didnt collapse and get ruined. What should I do to the car before I start it? The oil is really old. I was thinking probably do an oil change and then turn the distributor over with a drill to get oil flowing through the galleys. If you guys have any opinions, let me know, I rarely have had time to mess with it but I miss the car now! Ha, Thanks

-93Mustang5.0
Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 AM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

I recently installed a 1995 5.0 motor in my 65 conv and it had sat for 6 years. My situation was a bit more extreme than yours so I dropped the oil pan and cleaned it out and pulled the valve covers and cleaned it out too. After reassembly, I used the drill on the oil pump to prime. But a year and a half is not that long. I'd change the oil as you said. Pulling the distributer seems a bit extreme but it is easy to do if it would make you sleep better.
Now, for the clicking sound, that could present other problems. Don't know what that could be without hearing it but whatever you do, when you start it, don't rev it up until the engine has time to fully circulate the oil. Further diagnosis with it not running is kind of futile and guess work. Also, with a bad main ground, your clicking sound could be an arc, which could cause you more pressing problems such as a fire. Check your ground before starting.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:36 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Hi,

+1 on the oil change. Id check all the other fluids too, particulary the brake fluid seeing as thats hydroscopic. How does the gasoline smell? You might want to throw some Water Remover in there too.
Most autoparts stores will loan or sell oil pump drives that you can use with a drill to prime the engine. Also, for a peice of mind, see if you can get your hands on a mechanical oil pressure gauge so you can see what pressure you have while priming.

As for the clicking noise, are you sure that wasnt the starter solenoid? I would deffinately recomend having your battery checked, or at least replacing it.
You can check all your grounds and feeds by doing a voltage drop test with a good DVOM if your worried about grounding issues and such
Old 01-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Old oil or new oil. You will have oil pressure on a running engine within 2 or 3 seconds.

If it truely is backfiring through the intake valve. It may be one or more valves stuck open from sitting. I heard of old, as in engines from the 50's doing this but never actually saw one myself.