5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Bought eBay mustang NO POWER help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 06:09 PM
five0joe

Default Bought eBay mustang NO POWER help!!!

Hi, I bought this nice orange mustang on eBay from a seller with good reputation. But...I dont think he knew what he was doing when he modded this car. It starts up nice, runs good, temp gaudge reads hot, but I think the temp is off. Once its warmed up, you take it out for a spin.

Now i bought a beater 5.0 LX that was very fast, and it burned rubber all over the place. I drive this new orange 5.0 GT and its a complete ****ing turd! You can revv the motor to 5 grand and pop the clutch in first and all RPM's drop and the car goes nowhere.

The only internal engine mod he says he put in was a cam, I was told he might have tightened the valve springs too much, or the timing is off, or has no compression etc. I was wanting everyone's opinion on what the problem is, becuase I'm new to the 5.0 scene.

Mods: Cam, spark plug wires, cold air intake, bbk headers, H pipe, mass air computer, ford racing water pump, and more.

Car can be seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Please help! Thanks
Old 11-03-2005, 06:20 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Bought eBay mustang NO POWER help!!!

Sounds like you need go through and check a few things. Find somone who knows how set the timing, check compression and what not and have them help you. If he did not adjust the rockers correctly it will run like crap. There are lots of things that could be wrong but it's hard to tell over the net.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:33 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

Cam timing could be all wrong. Computer may be giving wrong AF mixture.
Check Compression first that would tell if valve adjustment is too tight. It might also give some insight to way off cam timing.
Look at the plugs to see if they are white or black which may indicate if the AF is way off.
Check the ignition timing, it could be way low.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:36 PM
5.0mustang5speed
I ♥ Acer

if it has stock heads on it , the valves are non adjustable, if it;s that bad it may be in the best interest to do a tear down of the top end, remove the heads and cam and see what you are working with, wrong cam with the wrong parts combo , no gears to go with the mods..etc, you can guess all day but till you know what you have , you are just pissing in the wind
Old 11-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Sinister Audio
2nd Gear Member

sounds like the timing is way off i think its probaly about 20 degres retard or so because you said its running hot and that could do that and no power that could defintly do that. my mustang is pretty much stock and i have 2.73s in back and i put a 5speed in there and i can roast the tires all day long a 2g rpm and a clutch drop and a quick holding the brake and itll power break like a champ and do many other things too. i see he got a little orange happy with the car too.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:47 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

compression test and timing check start there and a can of spray paint as those v/c are the most ugliest I have ever seen[:'(]