5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

got a ques.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:39 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
lol good idea. But if you ever buy a new cam, the company should/will have a card with information on the cam and the instructions for it should tell you about degreeing the specific cam.
aight man thanks for the info
Old 11-29-2008, 09:49 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...3&autoview=sku

heres the specs on the e-cam Ethan, just incase you didnt have it
Old 11-30-2008, 01:29 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

You pretty much have to dial it in to zero to get the most hp/tq that it was designed for. Due to manufacturing tolerences, there may be times it may need to be adjusted a degree or two up or down. There are times you can go through all the hassle and it turns out just right on its own. You can also play with it yourself a degree or two to get either more lower end torque or high end hp.

You can do this with a multi keyway lower timing gear, or an offset busing for the cam gear.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:46 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

wow... ok um, lets see.

1. degree your cams people, its "free" hp.

if its a stock cam goin in a stock motor then no dont stress it, put it dot to dot. most ppl say, eh its just a street car not a race car i dont need to degree the cam. i disagree. the cam comes with a cam card on it is info you need to degree the cam. the whole reason you degree a cam to what they tell you is to make sure theres no error in parts, when it comes to aftermarket cams/full builds, you can degree the cam to work well with the rest of the motor. for example, i degree'd my stock 5.0 cam, i retarded it, to advance the power curve uptop, where i used it(3-6k, nitrous). most of the cams you guys have out for your cars, are higher rpm cams... why not advance it slightly to lower that curve to a more usable rpm range?

is it nessacery? no... is it stupid to not do it... yes.

adjustable cam gears, multi keyed cam and crank gears are both good methods to doing it

and fwiw, custom cams, cams you get made for YOUR motor, even get degree'd... so shouldnt u do it w. a generic cam?