5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Im a happy little gear head. Trick Flow Heads.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:31 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

The four corner bolts on the intake and about all the bolts going in to the timing cover are a risk to break with a socket wrench.

Next time I have to put a lower intake on my car, I am going to use studs on those four corners....Makes it easier to set it without a gasket slip.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
The four corner bolts on the intake and about all the bolts going in to the timing cover are a risk to break with a socket wrench.

Next time I have to put a lower intake on my car, I am going to use studs on those four corners....Makes it easier to set it without a gasket slip.
I always though a impact wrench would be much worse on bolts?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:01 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

no, they DEFINITELY look way more than a stock cleanup. stock cleanup will go into the port about 1/8" to a 1/4" tops. when you get the intake and exhaust gaskets put them on and see how the ports look... probably gasket matched and will be a dead giveaway

i'm trying to find pics b4 and after of my eddy heads... to give you an idea, but can't find them. they have a very minor cleanup, port matched to the intake and valve job + better valve springs (the exhaust is really where you want to concentrate for a 302 based motor) a good porter familiar w/ mustangs will know exactly what to do

i use jeff @ MODERN CYLINDER HEAD in clinton twp MI, he used to do all lidios head work from alternative performance, and i have even seen boxes to go to other countries cuz he is so damn good, website is online just google it. he'll answer questions for you too and will be honest. he has in the past actually talked me out of paying him for stuff i really didn't need, and that alone gets my business

i paid about $400 for less than what u have, i also paid about $700 for another set but they were done pretty well... fully ported and polished exhaust, pocket ported intakes, the turns really smoothed out nicely (never got on the car.. it was tolen about 2 weeks after the heads cam back from the shop)

the valve job will improve flow... the more angles the better... but don't get rediculous
Old 08-18-2009, 08:05 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

3/8s impact will zip them right out. Go easy with it though. If they break, they were probable going to break anyway. When I took the intake bolts out of mine, it took about 45 seconds.

I will probably get flamed for telling this but, when I put the gt40 lower on mine, i asked mechanic to torque the bolts down (He lets me work on my own things at his shop)
i thought he was going to use a torque wrench. Well...he walks out there with a 3/8s impact, sets the intake dead on the money and zips the original bolts intake bolts with the impact. On top of that, (he asked first) he even followed his sequence of tightening the bolts. I let him do it cause, I knew he would fix it if he messed up. He didn't mess up though. I asked him how he knew he wasn't going to over tighten them? he said he can listen to the impact and tell how tight they are.

I still haven't figured if it was bull****, if he is lazy and only wanted to spend 2 minutes on it or if 43 years of experience actually made him that good.

Either way it worked.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 08-18-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:27 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
no, they DEFINITELY look way more than a stock cleanup. stock cleanup will go into the port about 1/8" to a 1/4" tops. when you get the intake and exhaust gaskets put them on and see how the ports look... probably gasket matched and will be a dead giveaway

i'm trying to find pics b4 and after of my eddy heads... to give you an idea, but can't find them. they have a very minor cleanup, port matched to the intake and valve job + better valve springs (the exhaust is really where you want to concentrate for a 302 based motor) a good porter familiar w/ mustangs will know exactly what to do

i use jeff @ MODERN CYLINDER HEAD in clinton twp MI, he used to do all lidios head work from alternative performance, and i have even seen boxes to go to other countries cuz he is so damn good, website is online just google it. he'll answer questions for you too and will be honest. he has in the past actually talked me out of paying him for stuff i really didn't need, and that alone gets my business

i paid about $400 for less than what u have, i also paid about $700 for another set but they were done pretty well... fully ported and polished exhaust, pocket ported intakes, the turns really smoothed out nicely (never got on the car.. it was tolen about 2 weeks after the heads cam back from the shop)

the valve job will improve flow... the more angles the better... but don't get rediculous
HAHA, holy crap. So they are the "race" head, AND they are ported nicely!? wow! these should be pretty sick on my car then

I would like some picture's because it looked like it was good to me, but my buddy said no so IDK. But i trust you a little more then him in regards to experience.

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
3/8s impact will zip them right out. Go easy with it though. If they break, they were probable going to break anyway. When I took the intake bolts out of mine, it took about 45 seconds.

I will probably get flamed for telling this but, when I put the gt40 lower on mine, i asked mechanic to torque the bolts down (He lets me work on my own things at his shop)
i thought he was going to use a torque wrench. Well...he walks out there with a 3/8s impact, sets the intake dead on the money and zips the original bolts intake bolts with the impact. On top of that, (he asked first) he even followed his sequence of tightening the bolts. I let him do it cause, I knew he would fix it if he messed up. He didn't mess up though. I asked him how he knew he wasn't going to over tighten them? he said he can listen to the impact and tell how tight they are.

I still haven't figured if it was bull****, if he is lazy and only wanted to spend 2 minutes on it or if 43 years of experience actually made him that good.

Either way it worked.
haha, thats crazy. I dont think i would ever attempt that.

Like i said, ive decided i will do a cam. I want streetability but good power. So I think the trickflow 2 cam will make SICK power, but because i have 4.10 gear's i shouldn't suffer much loss of low down power.