5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

im back! with a long story and a tech question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default im back! with a long story and a tech question

hey guys remember me? lol. its been well over a year since i have posted regularly on here so thought id catch everyone up before asking my question........if you dont care about my life and just want to answer my question, scroll to the bottom of the page.

the last year or so has been busy.

i lost my job (hated that job anyways) and got a new job working in a office.

i spent a lot of time at the gym. i got my body weight up to 304lbs, was able to bench press 605lbs once and i got my leg press up to 1500lbs. then my blood pressure went out of control and had to give up the size. im down to 275lbs.

i got engaged to my high school sweet heart and we are hoping to get married next summer.

i no longer live in socal. bought my first house and moved myself and shannon to las vegas.

some where in there i got the itch back and had to start modding something. i wasnt quite ready to put the mustang back together so my truck was the next best thing. it was already lifted 9 inches and had a great stereo in it, what else could i do?? then i remember my love of turbos and went for it. did a rear mount turbo on my 07 f150 and love it. it sounds beastly, drives great and even with 37" tires it still puts down 350rwhp. here are a few vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AZKmzXe7z4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs_oIceIQkg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c0FDmKq0PU

once that got old i wanted more power. took the stang in and thats were yet again i ran into issues. at the time i bought my boss block (right when it came out) ford was saying the only head gaskets that will work are stock 302 gaskets (the cheap paper ones). well at 570rwhp they blew. other then that the stang runs great and that brings me to my tech question......

can i run an mls head gasket with my boss block? if so or if not, does anyone have a part number for me of the best head gasket i can run? heads are aluminum of course.
thanks guys
Old 10-11-2011, 10:01 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

I'm not known for my knowledge of forced induction, but it would seem to me that your setup in that truck is very less than optimal. Doesn't length of pipe come directly into the equation for boost numbers? 5 psi @ 5 ft of pipe surely isn't 5 psi @ 20 feet of pipe, is it?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking it. I dig it very much. Just seeking knowledge, I guess.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Can't answer you're question about the head gasket, but I must say that your truck is awesome! I've been considering a turbo for my 02 5.4 SCrew. You've definitely got me hooked now!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:30 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
I'm not known for my knowledge of forced induction, but it would seem to me that your setup in that truck is very less than optimal. Doesn't length of pipe come directly into the equation for boost numbers? 5 psi @ 5 ft of pipe surely isn't 5 psi @ 20 feet of pipe, is it?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking it. I dig it very much. Just seeking knowledge, I guess.
there is about a 2psi drop from the turbo to the intake. i originally hooked the wg boost line directly to the turbo. we put it on the dyno and got about 3.4psi ran a vacuum hose from the intake manifold back to the wg and then it made 5.2psi with that said, at the turbo there is about 10psi and at the motor (the only place that matters) is 8psi. you have to remember there is an intercooler and as air cools, it becomes more dense so you loose some boost there so the 2psi drop is a combination of the air cooling and the length of pipe. its actually a 10psi spring im using to get 8psi. thats the nice thing about turbos is that the wg controls its speed and the wg is plumbed to the motor so until the motor sees 8psi, the wg stays shut essentially telling the turbo to keep spinning faster.

is it ideal, no. is it far from ideal, no. if the turbo was up front, it may spool a couple hundred rpm sooner but with it in the back it stays cooler, which means itll last longer. it also passes emissions which is something my mustang will never be able to do. so with that in mind, its more than ideal. i dont have to change the tune, i dont have to change any of the piping, they just hook into the obd2 port, i told my tuner to leave all the emissions programing stock so the emissions tech has no idea it even has a custom tune and until it hits boost, emissions out the tail pipe are stock

and if the emissions thing wasnt a good enough reason to put the turbo in the rear consider this....
to front mount, i would have to flip the headers which would mean doing a custom setup for the egr valve since its hooked to the driver side header. i would have to also cut, bend and weld tons of piping to make the hot side piping from the headers to the turbos and then a custom down pipe that hooked to the existing exhaust and id lose my cats. or i could leave the headers as they are, cut the exhaust after the cats and then run the piping from the two sides of the motor into a Y pipe and then under the motor and then back up front and still have to run a custom down pipe to the existing exhaust or just stick the turbo in place of the muffler. which sounds easiest to you? with it all said and down, i literally spend 5 hours pulling out my magnaflow muffler, mocking the turbo in place, cutting some scrap tuning i had laying around, tacking that piping and then finish welding......5 hours total on the hot side piping....unheard of. and because i had some scraps laying around, it cost me only $30 for the vband i used hooking the turbo to the dp. grand total for the kit, $1500 in parts

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 10-11-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:40 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Lucky, welcome back.
I think that I read about Cometic making gaskets for the BOSS block.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:43 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Cometic will make you any gasket you need. Welcome back and you are right health is more of a issue then size. keep your blood press. under control it is not a good thing to have wrong.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:39 AM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

I have no clue regarding your tech question. However, how the hell did bench 605lbs??!! I thought I was rough and tough at 175lbs(21) maxing 290lbs bench. Anyway, glad to see you are doing well and wish you and your wife(to be) the best for the future!
-Aaron
Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I leg pressed 605 one time.lol
Old 10-14-2011, 06:31 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

lol i dont know. my budy and i are either lucky or know what we are doing. he is 150 and benches 315.....struggles bad tho.

and that 1500lbs leg press was for 10 reps, did it on multiple occasions. i 30" circumference legs at the top where my legs meet.

just got a job here in vegas so as soon as i start, im calling cometic. i know if they have what i need and i call now ill be tempted to charge them and i dont want to do that

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 10-14-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

i leg pressed 1,100 (or so) @ 205lbs, not too much training, but my legs have always been my strong point.

glad to see you back, get that SOB running again.