General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what the hell does a MAF do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:13 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what the hell does a MAF do?

ORIGINAL: dstecklair78

i already have a factory supercharger on my saleen, i ordered a 90mm MAF do i have to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump?
You won't need a bigger pump or injectors if you aren't raising the boost pressure substantially. You will have to get your car tuned for the new MAF or it won't run correctly. What kind of MAF did you order? Was it calibrated for any particular injector size?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:04 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I thought pegging a MAF ment the engine was pulling more air than it could read. Also a good thing to know is the size of the MAF is not nearly as important as how the MAF is calibrated.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:05 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

I thought pegging a MAF ment the engine was pulling more air than it could read. Also a good thing to know is the size of the MAF is not nearly as important as how the MAF is calibrated.
Your right. A MAF works by a heated wire being cooled by the air passing through the housing. The MAF sends this info to the PCM by way of a 0-5v signal. Since 5 volts is the limit to what your MAF can read, any airflow past where the MAF hits 5 volts is not read. So when your engine pegs the MAF it is taking in more air than it has the capability or metering.

The larger the MAF, the more air it takes for it to reach its 5 volt limit or peg. That is why people with superchargers tend to increase the size. But calibration is equally important for tuning purposes.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:07 PM
dstecklair78
1st Gear Member

i bought a lfp 90mm maf, and how do you calibrate it. can i do it with the diablo tuner, or a different tuner?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:28 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I'm not familiar with LFP. Where did you get it from? The calibration of the MAF itself can only be changed by changing size of the sample tube. But you can Calibrate your PCM to work with pretty much any MAF regardless of the MAFs calibration, which is what most people do.

Unfortunately you won't be able to change it with just a Diablo handheld. You will need to have a Diablo dealer or someone with Diablo software create a new tune for use of the new MAF.