Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

That Smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:41 AM
JRO

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I will keep my wife.

It's cats. If it's the clutch, then they should all go to the auto-crusher, because they weren't built for men to drive, and I don't believe that. Too many of you are either too young, or don't remember what a real car, running real gas, should smell like when you dump a little Ethyl through the carbs.... Uh... Oh, no wonder.

Anyway, I'm really and truly not used to modern (i.e.: computer-controlled) automobiles. I haven't used a car, on the streets, in over six years. Wife finally got sick of me using high-perf two wheelers, what with all the deer in this area, for primary travel 300+days of the year. So, she bought me this like-new '05 GT convertible, with 4,000miles on it, on account of she likes her '07cv six, but figured I needed something more like what I was used to (for a car). It's been a long time since there was a (new) car built, I could tolerate.

I've concluded this new Mustang will do, but the cats stink (a little). So, I'll look into moving them back, or making neccessary changes, and getting rid of them.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:51 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I think in time they wont smell anymore.... do you have a local tuner/installer with a dyno? Get some A/F reading and how much HP the stang produces and see if that is the problem......but like you said just delete them (not a great idea IMO- the car is soo loud and raspy and spits/pops at you on decel {so I have read}) and try the O/R with H-pipe for a deeper sound and the x pipe for a more hollow raspy sound (hard to describe) JMO J
Old 10-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Originally Posted by 157db

You are
not rodding
it enough to get
the cats up
to working
temps.

oh, i beg to differ
Old 10-25-2008, 12:08 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I don't know about the "smell" you are referring to....but shortly after I got my Borla exhaust put on....I ran over a big piece of plastic on the interstate....and to this day I have a "stink" when I first fire up the car....

Trivial...but on the inside my cars smell like girly-ness...not that this is a bad thing, but I sure miss that new car smell sometimes.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:20 PM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

mine smells funny inside.... after chilli and beer
Old 10-25-2008, 02:58 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I remember.... I remember my ride breaking down all the time because of my perfeormance needs. I remember the smell of gas under every car built back then, and I remember working on a new car because the motor was stout from the factory but everything else wasn't. I remember when a 10 sec car would draw thousands of people with camera's in hand.. And I remember why they changed the designs of motors from pushrods to modular OHC's to make them comply with the EPA.. Those days are gone brother, and good riddance.

Originally Posted by JRO
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I will keep my wife.

It's cats. If it's the clutch, then they should all go to the auto-crusher, because they weren't built for men to drive, and I don't believe that. Too many of you are either too young, or don't remember what a real car, running real gas, should smell like when you dump a little Ethyl through the carbs.... Uh... Oh, no wonder.

Anyway, I'm really and truly not used to modern (i.e.: computer-controlled) automobiles. I haven't used a car, on the streets, in over six years. Wife finally got sick of me using high-perf two wheelers, what with all the deer in this area, for primary travel 300+days of the year. So, she bought me this like-new '05 GT convertible, with 4,000miles on it, on account of she likes her '07cv six, but figured I needed something more like what I was used to (for a car). It's been a long time since there was a (new) car built, I could tolerate.

I've concluded this new Mustang will do, but the cats stink (a little). So, I'll look into moving them back, or making neccessary changes, and getting rid of them.