Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Replacing front LCAs feasible with just hand tools?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Ford put them in 'backwards' for a reason. I would not tempt fate
and install them as you deem correct nor advise anyone else to do so.
You'll be the first to know when my control arms fall off! Close to 40k miles and plenty of autocrossing since I put the bolts in backwards with no problems so far.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by F1Fan
Why would you need anything else for this job?

Hot tip>>The Steeda race front control arms are a much better buy than the GT500 arms. Firm poly bushings on both ends plus a tall X5 ball joint to correct geometry on reduced ride height cars. If you want some GT500 arms I have a no/low mileage set you can buy.

Hey F1Fan, nice to see you posting in this forum again.

I wish I knew you had a used set of GT500 arms for sale before ordering a new set.

Initially I was deciding between the stock arms, GT500 arms, BMR arms, and Steeda X5 ball joints. I wanted to upgrade from stock since the originals only lasted 65k. I need to replace them quickly. I heard the BMR stuff was not worth their price and that they had weld issues. Lastly, I understand that while a taller ball joint would correct for being lowered (BMR and Steeda parts), that this would require in upgrade to 18 inch wheels for clearance. I have the immediate budget to replace the arms but not the arms, wheels, and tires.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:17 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UrS4
Hey F1Fan, nice to see you posting in this forum again.

I wish I knew you had a used set of GT500 arms for sale before ordering a new set.

Initially I was deciding between the stock arms, GT500 arms, BMR arms, and Steeda X5 ball joints. I wanted to upgrade from stock since the originals only lasted 65k. I need to replace them quickly. I heard the BMR stuff was not worth their price and that they had weld issues. Lastly, I understand that while a taller ball joint would correct for being lowered (BMR and Steeda parts), that this would require in upgrade to 18 inch wheels for clearance. I have the immediate budget to replace the arms but not the arms, wheels, and tires.
Hey, thanks for the homecoming welcome! I've been off in BMW M3 land for a little while and have been messing with the S197 again lately. I'm about to remove the Saleen PJ Watt's link and install a Steeda Watt's link for the roll center height adjustability they have. The Saleen Watt's link works great and is very quite but I want to be able to change roll center height as I alter chassis ride height. Also going to install a GT500 finned diff cover and take some measurements to build up a set of coilovers with double adjustable Koni Race internals. I did this for the M3 and the difference is amazingly good. On an S197 chassis like mine with literally every Steeda suspension catalog and none-catalog part installed including the Watt's link the Tokico colilver dampers are the only real weakness.

Yes for 17" wheels the tall X5 ball joints do not clear the inner hoops. But they do wonders for roll center!
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thanks F1Fan,

Well then I guess when I upgrade to 18 in wheels I will have to pop in the x5 ball joints.

The thing is thunking so bad I plan on changing them this week.