V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

1995 Mustang Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 PM
cellmate75

Default 1995 Mustang Help

I just bought one of these as my first car and I love it but there are a few issues. One of them is that the cruise, automatic mirrors?, odometer, and the triptometer do not work. I believe this may be because when the previous owner put in the new engine which has 81K miles on it they didn't hook these things up. (maybe not the mirrors, maybe they just don't work because I don't think they have anything to do with the engine.)
I don't know a whole lot about cars either so that doesn't help. Also the back window of the convertible top's seal has broken at the top so water can get in, is there any way I can seal that even for a short time? And whenever I was cleaning it not too long ago I made the alarm go off and it was AWFUL! I couldn't get it to go off for the life of me. I had to just wait for it to go off. It isn't a keyless entry and I don't know if the alarm is stock or aftermarket. We ended up have to disconnect the battery to reset the alarm because it was ignition locked. I believe there may be some kind of code to stop the alarm? Maybe flipping on the blinkers and doing weird stuff like that. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this.
I bought the car for $2900 and heres a link a link to a album off pictures of it. Tell me what you think of my buy and if you think it was worth it!
http://s564.photobucket.com/albums/s...te911/Mustang/
Old 12-14-2011, 09:52 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

The mirrors won't work if the motors are burned out, if there is a short in the wiring harness to the mirrors, there is a blown fuse, or if the mirrors have come undone. Best thing to do is just buy new mirrors, they're cheap enough to replace. The mirrors connect behind the door panel so you can just pop that off see if it's connected and go from there. Takes all of 2 minutes to change them.

The tripomenter and odometer will not work if the little gear that drives them breaks. The gear is like a $15 part but the labor will cost over $100 to have it fixed. At that point its cheaper to buy a new/rebuilt gauge cluster off of ebay.

To fix the leaks you need new seals. You can get them off of www.latemodelrestoration.com

The alarm not responding sounds like either a bad connection or short in the system. Good luck tracking that down, that's the kind of sh*t I just break down and pay somebody for. The $60-100 fee is worth my time cause they are PAINFUL to find at times.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:11 AM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

before buying a gauge cluster, I would recommend the gear repair kit. I've done two (97 and 98) and it can be accomplished in about an hour.

When you say automatic mirrors do you mean power mirrors. Not clear on what automatic mirrors are. Other than the memory setup my wife had on a Windstar.

There are 2 ways (IIRC) to disarm the Factory alarm system. One is the key fob, the other is to insert a key in the door lock and turn.

Not having key fobs doesn;'t mean you don't have remote entry. If you pull the left trunk liner out you can tell if the car has, factory remote entry, factory anti-theft or both. This thread has pics of what to look for. https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1...ess-entry.html

I ahd an issue where the trunk lock tamper sensor had tripped and as soon as I armed the alarm it would go off.

If the issue with the top is the glass seperating from the top it can be fixed with a good RTV. I had a seperation where the glass meets the vinyl at the bottom. I put a piece of wood in teh car to support the window then used the RTV to reattach. Duct tape held everything in place until it tried. Has not leaked since.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:15 AM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Just looked at the pics. Your top issue looks very similar to the one I had.

Also, it appears you have a complete power package so I'd be suprised if you don't have remote entry.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Hello and welcome to MF! First off the mirrors are probably burned out and like JThorn said very easy to replace and cheap (check ebay, or craigslist for parted out cars as you can use mirrors from any 94-98 GT, or V6). The cluster problem is comman and like stated above can be fixed by replacing with a new one (what I would do) or by replacing the worm gear. The convertable top I know nothing about as I do not/have never had a vert but I would try Gorilla glue (I use it like ducktape - ON EVERYTHING) as a temp fix. Alarm - no idea. As for a if it was a good deal or not well that, as they say, is in the eyes of the beholder. I personally never liked the white interior, and for that price - no not a good deal to me. But everything can be changed over time, and the great part about theses cars is they are old and Ford so a buttload of them so replacing/swapping interior parts is cheap and easy.

Matthew
Old 12-16-2011, 07:12 PM
hondhunter
2nd Gear Member

my 95 had an alarm issue when i was driving the lights would go crazy like it was going off. i found the module under the panel under the steering column to the left and removed it cause im not stressin the alarm..whens the last time u called the cops when one was goin off?