Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive By Wire

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:06 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Drive By Wire

ORIGINAL: viking396

ORIGINAL: elektra

Okay so I dont understand how this is helping my gas mileage!!! I live 2 miles from work here in stl and the way to work mostly down hill. If I hit 40 going down the street, I can cost about 3/4 of the way to work. I have a 5sp and put it in neutral and cost. Well I guess it is this Drive by wire crap that keeps the RPM's about 1300-1400 RPM's. If I push in the clutch the RPM's drop down to the 750-800 idle range. It does not make any since to me. Why so high when not in gear.

The same thing happens when on the Interstate. If I am doing 75ish and put in in neutral due to I am about to get off the interstate and it will stay at 2200 RPMS or so till I stop and then spikes up to 2500-2600 Until I push in the clutch. Only then will it go down. The service department thinks that I have a bad clutch sensor but it seems more like bad programing in the computer.

Ohh yeah and the lag sucks a*s! I know I need to get the Tune still. Does anyone else have this problem???
Why doesn't the service department service the vehicle instead of guessing the problem? I agree, 2200-2500 while coasting is a bit extreme but you won't know why until they actually look at it. Drive by wire always seems to cause a lag in how the engine returns to idle. I was going to buy a 5sp Acura TL but opted for the automatic simply because their drive by wire was horrid in the stick car, much worse than it is in this car. As to the lag, as you know a new CAI and tune cures that nicely.

Good luck with the service department!
Actually, ford used this to pass emissions... if it returns to idle the way a "normal" engine would, it would fail emissions. By slowly returning to idle, it reduces the rate at which exhaust leaves the engine.

Why the hell are so many new cars using throttle by wire? It seems to be completely non-benneficial

Also why the hell woudl they want to use steer-by-wire? So that instead of avoiding the deer we can run into it as the computer double checks to make sure we want to swerve? WTF?!?!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:16 PM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LesteR723

Actually, ford used this to pass emissions... if it returns to idle the way a "normal" engine would, it would fail emissions. By slowly returning to idle, it reduces the rate at which exhaust leaves the engine.

Why the hell are so many new cars using throttle by wire? It seems to be completely non-benneficial

Also why the hell woudl they want to use steer-by-wire? So that instead of avoiding the deer we can run into it as the computer double checks to make sure we want to swerve? WTF?!?!
Never EVER swerve for a deer. People that swerve for deer hit other cars, trees, telephone poles, not to mention roll thier car.

Again, I think "throttle by wire" is to smooth out the abrupt, or unusual inputs that drivers make.

Steer by wire............ I've never heard that conteplated.......... But how many crashes do you hear of that include the phrase "he over-corrected............"
Old 06-13-2006, 07:17 PM
elektra
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olym4gery
To anticpate a shift, so instead of going 4000-750-3000 rpms the car goes 4000-2500-3000, smoothing the shift and limiting "drive line shock" during the shift.
See that makes sence and I would expect it to do that but it should notice the speed of ones car and adjust accordingly. Thank you for the help olym4gery and everyone else.

I will try the battery reset thought does not sound logical to me.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:30 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5 speed GT

This Drive by Wire sucks; I hate it. I have had it cause some serious bucking problems and have downshifted from 5th to 4th and punched when I really needed the power right then and it fell flat on its face. Is there any TSBs about this? Can the dealer do anything to reflash the computer and fix this mess?
Yes, there was if it's the same problem. It's air bubbles in the fuel pump filter that form after cruising for a long period. I don't know the TSB number off hand but it's on this forum somewhere.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:00 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: elektra

Ok so Now I went out and completed the recalibration for the gas pedal and it fixed most of the issues. Instead of it climbing to 2500 it stops at 1500 and once stopped it will sit at 1500 for about 15 seconds before it notices that it is stopped.
sounds like what it did for mine- but mines ALWAYS 6 seconds...the thread where I'd read about the recal said you might need to do it a few times...unhooking the battery might help too- the processor is supposed to 'learn' your habits, some guys say they get better response after clearing it out. I have noticed a few times I was romping around pretty hard on mine, it seemed to almost wake up and want more...seems if you cruise highway it gets more sluggish...the tune is odd- I just wish they woulda put one of the saturn type 'performance-economy' switches on the dash.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

The new BMW uses a sort of steering by wire. It reduces vibration, reduces excessive feedback from road imperfections, and reduces torque steer (found in front-wheel-drive vehicles, for those that didn't know). Test drivers were nervous at first, but they apparently liked it. I personnally would rather not depend on the computer to keep my car on the road. Computers just aren't that dependable.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:27 PM
elektra
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Getaway

The new BMW uses a sort of steering by wire. It reduces vibration, reduces excessive feedback from road imperfections, and reduces torque steer (found in front-wheel-drive vehicles, for those that didn't know). Test drivers were nervous at first, but they apparently liked it. I personnally would rather not depend on the computer to keep my car on the road. Computers just aren't that dependable.
And that is my fear as well. I just dont see the benifit of having the computer be able to rev up my engine if it fails or even turn my car if it fails. Just not my cup of tea is all. Others may like it, I just dont feel like I can trust it 100% of the time. Not that the mechanical version work 100% either.

SIDE NOTE***** Mine is fixed. I completed the recalibration technique 4-5 times and now it is normal. THANK GOD! So if anyone else has this issue just pm me if you have any questions! Thanks all for the help and suggestions.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:51 PM
John_Niemi
1st Gear Member

drive by wire and steer by wire are just two more expensive *** things that are gonna break. besides that, id rather have to blame myself for an accident than a computer

btw, my car sits at 12-1500 rpms when coasting in neutral, much older car but i think the idea is to have the rpms ready for a gear shift
Old 12-15-2006, 07:04 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

i have the same problem!!

i hate it soo much!