Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red blinking light under steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Red blinking light under steering wheel?

ORIGINAL: bmk
it was going off while the car was running...
ok go to the dealer its broken
Old 11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
navyscott
1st Gear Member

I'm guessing mine has this system, except the light and button setup is different.See pics below for components and locations. Mine works thrrough the parking lights and horn. When I manually lock the car before getting out (not using the remote, but thedoor switch) and close the door, the lights flash once. After this, when I push lock on the remote the parking lights flash again immediately the after about 2 seconds flash briefly one more time. At this point the add-on light begins flashng and the system is fully armed. It is a shock sensor system and seems to have a medium sensitivity (I tested it).

Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: navyscott
I'm guessing mine has this system, except the light and button setup is different.See pics below for components and locations. Mine works thrrough the parking lights and horn. When I manually lock the car before getting out (not using the remote, but thedoor switch) and close the door, the lights flash once. After this, when I push lock on the remote the parking lights flash again immediately the after about 2 seconds flash briefly one more time. At this point the add-on light begins flashng and the system is fully armed. It is a shock sensor system and seems to have a medium sensitivity (I tested it).
no thats not the one like were talking about the
the light should only be on when the alarm is trigered
Old 11-04-2007, 09:48 PM
navyscott
1st Gear Member

Ok, gotcha. So is the one I have some sort of dealer installed kit? I bought it used so I have no way to know.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: navyscott
Ok, gotcha. So is the one I have some sort of dealer installed kit? I bought it used so I have no way to know.
I don't know of any valet switch
maybe the dealerput in a different module or something
Old 11-04-2007, 10:20 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

just do like homer simpsion (put tape over it) till you get it to the dealership
Old 11-04-2007, 11:23 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

I used to work for a dealer. What you have is the dealer installed Ford alarm, however, if you didn't "buy" it, then it's inactive (useless). Think back to when you were making your purchase; at some point - probably several times, your salesman and/or finance guy tried to sell you an alarm. If you didn't buy it, they may have just left it in the inactve state. Get the dealer to yank it out (it takes about 2 minutes).

Many dealers preinstall these on vehicles for two reasons: one, obviously it makes selling them easier; two, it reduces theft of vehicles from the lot. When I worked for Lone Star Ford, prior to preinstalled alarms, they'd regularly lose several vehicles per year. After going to preinstalled alarms, the loss rate went to zero.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:54 PM
navyscott
1st Gear Member

http://www.gemsen.com/Ford/Pdf/02_06..._(8-29-05).pdf
I think this might be a good place to start trying to figure this all out.I still don't see the button in there though, I'm thinking it serves a valet function since every vehicle I've had with an upgraded security system had a similar button in a similar location. On a side note, mine seems to be like the RKE/VSS system except that mine uses the horn vice a siren and there is no window decal, although that may have been removed by the previous owner.
Well, the investigation continues...