General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Imports vs mustang clutching

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:31 PM
jim135666
1st Gear Member

Default Imports vs mustang clutching

Alright, so some of you may have seen my post previously. I let my honda friend drive the car and he ended up finishing the clutch. I drove his car and it was completely different obviously but plates engadging and all. So i leave this question that i want to hear peoples imput on. Is it entirely possible for soemone who drives "a ricer" that knows standard to completely screw up on a real muscle car. When i say screw up on a muscle cari mean, clutch wrong, ride the clutch ect due to the hp and so on
Old 01-28-2008, 12:38 PM
BLK89GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Imports vs mustang clutching

from what i keep hearing is that a clutch wears to the daily driver. so you put someone else in the seat and they dont drive the same as you it can realy jack your trash up. but it seems to me that your friend dosnt know how to drive a stick. but maybe he does i dont know. but after i got done kicking the **** out of him he would pay for it. just my 2 centz.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:40 PM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

lol This is stupid. Making comments about a Japanese car is stupid. They are 'generally' better cars than their American counterparts. It sounds like you might have lost to a 'Ricer' or two.

I think driving a 'Ricer car' is much harder than driving a 'Muscle car'. They rev so much easier and freer than 'Muscle' cars do. When I first got my Mustang it seemed like I had to floor it everywhere to get it to keep from bogging. With an import car you have to be careful otherwise you are sitting there redlining the hell out of it.

Was your clutch already on the way out? If the clutch was in good condition then it should not have blown just from letting him drive it one time.

I will wait to get yelled at now. lmao
Old 01-28-2008, 02:47 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: indisposible_teens

lol This is stupid. Making comments about a Japanese car is stupid. They are 'generally' better cars than their American counterparts. It sounds like you might have lost to a 'Ricer' or two.

I think driving a 'Ricer car' is much harder than driving a 'Muscle car'. They rev so much easier and freer than 'Muscle' cars do. When I first got my Mustang it seemed like I had to floor it everywhere to get it to keep from bogging. With an import car you have to be careful otherwise you are sitting there redlining the hell out of it.

Was your clutch already on the way out? If the clutch was in good condition then it should not have blown just from letting him drive it one time.

thats not any less bias'd than his. my friend has a lexus is300 sport design (5 speed) and his car will bog like a son of a bitch if he doesnt go to about 4grand in first and second gear.

clutches are all different. import clutches from what i've experienced are alot lighter than stock clutches on our cars. my car i feel like i have to put all my weight on it compared to just lightly tapping my foot on one of the import clutches. most likely scenario is you burnt the **** out of your clutch and it was on its last leg, and him driving it differently than you probably killed it (which was bound to happen in the near future anyways). most imports ive driven the clutch engagement is alot different, so perhaps he was slipping the clutch a little too much and revving too high off the line (4 banger you gotta rev higher than a stang when you are getting off the line). either way your clutch was almost dead, theres no way he could have torn a clutch apart in a little bit of driving unless he was SERIOUSLY romping on it.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:50 PM
jim135666
1st Gear Member

im not going to yell lol. Its just a fun conversation. And my clutch was almost dead, he just rode the clutch alott. I kno that for a fact. He just really cant drive stick so well in a real car. And imports are generally better but its conversation.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:41 PM
tylerl90
2nd Gear Member

Yes it's VERY possible that an import can beat a real American muscle car such as a Mustang GT.

2004 Mustang GT with minor mods(catback andcai)vs. 1999 Integra Type R with JDM front end and backseat delete

Take a guess at who probablywins...[&:]
Old 01-28-2008, 06:43 PM
tylerl90
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I misread the convo lol

Ignore me
Old 01-29-2008, 10:14 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

We will don't worry. ^^

I have always hated driving a manual import. I embarrass the **** out of myself when I do. lol I usually either take off like a bat out of hell because I am sitting there flooring it and not realizing it or I bog the **** out of it. lol

I know it wasn't any less biased. It just gets a little bit annoying to me when people sit their and refer to all Japanese cars as 'ricers'. Their are a lot of Japanese 'ricer' cars but their are also American 'ricers'. I don't see to many Euro 'ricers' but I have seen some. lol I hate it when I see someone mess up a Euro car.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: indisposible_teens

im thinking u dont know what ur talking about. ive driven a few 4cyls, american and otherwise, and in DD conditions they like to bog way more than a bigger motor does. Both my TA and mustang were very easy to drive on the other hand, all that extra weight in spinning in the motor helped transfer to the wheels. its the same thing we discuss when we do pros/cons of light flywheels just on a different scale. as for revving freer, i dunno about that, the little motors spin up fast because, hell, it doesnt take much to throw something like that around, and while my motor takes longer to rev up, it breaths a whole lot easier than alot of imports
Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

I was saying from my personal experience. It feels to 'me' that I have to push a lot harder to keep V6 or V8 manualsfrom bogging compared to an Import manual. I think that Importthrottles are a lot more sensitive than Domesticthrottles, at least from my experience. You barely tap on the throttle and an Import is halfway to redline whereas you have to give it a little bit of pressure to get a domestic to go. I guess we are discussing throttle response nownot how hard a clutch is to push in though. Like you said that is because of the small engine sizes.