Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just bought a new 08, need some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:00 PM
b_silva2000

I know what you mean!
Theres so much more I want to buy but I have to watch my wallet because I can really see this adding up!

Originally Posted by jvecero3
I have the pony package, so you can look at it for examples of the differences. The biggest differnce, in my opinion, was the front grill with the smaller fog lights in the grill. It also included the side striping. I believe it also came with the wing, but I don't recall if that came of the V6s without the pony package or not.

But, since you're looking for suggestions as to mods on your car, I went right for the appearance mods. My favorites (and the order in which I got them) are hood pins, a hood scoop (I got the Roush) and 1/4 window louvers (also Roush on mine).

Happy modding! Once you've been bit by the bug, you can forget it. Your wallet will never be the same again.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:16 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

300 for painted SHR louvers I'd put at first on my list- really brings out the 'fastback' in these cars appearance.

150 for sequential tails- i liked em since my mom had a new 66 charger when i was a few yrs old- still remember how cool they looked

200 bucks can get you a take-off gt bumper/grill in factory paint ready to bolt on...expect to need buffing out of light scuffs though. if you can find a used/takeoff pony grille for your bumper, thats probably still my favorite...seeing mine by the wifes, love that grille on hers- but kinda needs a chin spoiler or something for the rounded bottom...

on power, mines still stock...the wifes v6 I'd say could use a little rumble, but a v6 will never rumble like a 8- single or dual...stock sounds ok, a gt muffler for 40 bucks would probably sound pretty good, as 4 litres is a pretty big six.
If I was driving the wifes, I think i'd seriously consider a 3.73 gearset to perk it up- think in normal driving, it would really add a LOT of pep, without totally killing it on the highway...think gears are a few hundred installed minimum, or a complete takeoff rearend with new gears can be had for about 800. I dunno, but would expect gears to be one of the biggest 'seat of the pants' everyday improvements you can do, but for about the same maybe a tuner...just in the stuff ive read, most of the tune hp increase is WOT/topend, not where you typically(legally) can feel it...gears are there all the time, only drawback will be a little highway mpg and maybe reduced topend...('maybe' as dunno if theres hp to pull 3.31 to redline anyway- but doubt it, so may actually increase max speed)

just one more opinion

Last edited by ford4v429; 12-28-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Silver Vert 06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
...just in the stuff ive read, most of the tune hp increase is WOT/topend, not where you typically(legally) can feel it...gears are there all the time, only drawback will be a little highway mpg and maybe reduced topend...
I disagree with that statement about tunes. A good tune will almost completely eliminate throttle lag and will give you more passing power. The car feels more responsive and has more power across all RPMs.

Last edited by Silver Vert 06; 12-29-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I didnt realize the V6 had the 'lag'...maybe I'm just so used to it now, I never noticed when driving the wifes car
When I got my 06 it was really irritating, dont notice it much anymore- but have noticed at around 60-65 degrees a cold engine dont do it-lift the throttle it immediately burbles/backfires/decelerates like a older car would

would be interesting to see some dyno plots showing 'tractive effort' (pulling force) along with hp/torque/rpm on a tuned only and geared only comparison...I'm still on the fence regarding what to do first, but lifes been so hectic around here i havent had time to even put my shaker hood on 6 months after it showed up- next summer I hope will be mustang season
Old 12-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

gears and a locking diff are the best bang for your buck out there. biggest 'seat of your pants' payoff out of all the basic bolt on mods for power.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 AM
rampant racing
1st Gear Member

i've got a 2008 pony,started moddin it a week after i got it.i used an american muscle tune and then altered it myself.i added more timing (93 octane tune) and increased the mph in gear by 5 mph before it shifts,this made a huge difference in 1/4 mile performance.the tuner is a sct 3.dual exhaust,cai and a 3.73 with a tlok.this thing books now!i like my auto trans,it makes a big difference with the tuner to the trans.also no throttle lag at all.EXTREMELY RESPONSIVE! italked to the tech at am and told him what i wanted and that i was going to experiment with the tune once i got it ,i have lots of experience with racecars and motors and know how they feel when running properly,you may not want to play with it unless you know what you are doing.can get expensive.good luck and enjoy.